Thursday, November 25, 2010

Green Peas Delight - Nimona

Recently I came across Priya's Event "Veggie / Fruit A Month" which is guest hosted this month by Richa from Richa's Kitchen. The theme is Green Peas. I love green peas in anything. They taste good with all. I have found that green peas are generally used in every cuisine. There is some recipe for them. However I am going to send an authentic recipe which my MIL has taught me. She has a pandora's box of recipes.
Also while I am at it, I would like to thank Priya for letting me host this same event for the month of June 2011. I am eagerly waiting for it.

Also Sending it for Sujana's event "Celebrating Regional Cuisine"

So here goes my favourite green peas recipe.

Ingredients :
Green Peas : 500 grams
Dal Wadi : 4-5 Broken (optional - you can also use potato or soya nutrela or nothing)
Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
Onion : 2
Ginger : 1 inch
Garlic : 3-4 Cloves
Green Chilli : 2
Tomato Puree : 4 tbsp
Coriander Powder : 1 tbsp
Garam Masala : 1 tbsp
Salt : To Taste
Oil



Recipe :
Grind onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies into a paste.

Grind the green peas into a coarse paste using little water. If you are using frozen peas, then soak the peas in hot water for 10-15 minutes and then grind them.

Heat 5-6 tbsp of oil in a wok. Add the Wadi and fry till its brown. Drain it and keep on kitchen tissue to remove excess oil. Now add the potatoes in the same oil. Fry till they are light brown. Drain and keep on kitchen tissue.

Now in the same wok, add the cumin seeds. When they splutter, add the onion paste. Saute till the onions turn light brown. Add the tomato puree and saute till the tomatoes are cooked. Add salt, coriander powder and garam masala. Stir well. Now add the potatoes and the wadi and cook till oil leaves the sides. Add the green peas paste. Cover immediately as the peas splutters and simmer the flame. Cook for approx 15 - 20 minutes or till peas are cooked. Serve hot.



3 comments:

  1. Wow, a very new recipe dear. Sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice traditional recipe ,thanks for sending it for my event...

    ReplyDelete