Friday, November 19, 2010

Galka - Tomato Chutney

Recently I came across an event - Food Palette Red by Akheela. The theme was to cook a dish whose main ingredient would be red in colour. I saw the posts by other participants and just couldn't think what special I could add to this. Contemplating this, I opened my refrigerator and came across a box of tomatoes. That is when I remembered this recipe and decided to send it as my entry for the event.


Ingredients :
Tomato : 400 grams
Dates : 8-10 de-seeded and Chopped
Almonds : 5-6 Thinly Sliced
Raisins : 10-15
Cumin Seeds : 2 tsp
Whole Red chilli : 4-5
Kalonji : 2 tbsp
Fennel Seeds : 2 tbsp
Jaggery : 300 grams
Rock Salt : To taste
Oil : 2 tbsp
Lime juice : 2 tbsp



Recipe :
Cut the tomatoes into big pieces. 8 pieces from each tomato.

Heat Oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.

Now add the tomatoes, dates, almonds and raisins. Let it cook for some time. Let the tomatoes go soft. Now add the Whole red chillies, Kalonji, Fennel Seeds and salt. Stir it well and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the jaggery and stir it well. Cook till the jaggery melts completely. Remove from flame. Add the lime juice and mix it well.

Now cool it completely and store in an air tight jar. Keep refrigerated. You can store it for atleast 15 days.

Tomato Chutney on FoodistaTomato Chutney

5 comments:

  1. thank you for sending this sweet and spicy tomato chutney

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a very tasty chatney. Great color and ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at the ingredients,I can tell this is delicious.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this Foodista widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about Tomato Chutney, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete